A recent article by VentureBeat found that Amazon is in the business of deleting negative reviews… but only for their own shipping service. Although this might seem like a convenient way to deal with bad reviews, there are more consequences to think about. Check out these 10 quotes on the importance of maintaining a good reputation:
1. It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.
2. A single lie destroys a whole reputation of integrity.
3. Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.
4. Repetition makes reputation and reputation makes customers.
5. Ones reputation is like a shadow, it is gigantic when it precedes you, and a pigmy in proportion when it follows.
Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
6. Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs.
Anthony J. D’Angelo
7. Unfortunately, your reputation often rests not on your ability to do what you say, but rather on your ability to do what people expect.
Bryant H. McGill
8. A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment.
9. There is no advertisement as powerful as a positive reputation traveling fast.
10. Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Make sure to also read our related posts:
– What We Can Learn About Taking Criticism & Reputation Management
– Why You Should Never Immediately Delete a Negative Comment
– Managing Your Online Reputation